I’ve been tutoring longer than I’ve been teaching. When I was 16, I got a 34 on the ACT and I’ve been tutoring ACT/SAT test prep ever since. In college I began tutoring Latin, Greek, and history courses (as those were in my majors), but I also started tutoring math (up to and including Calc 1), writing, and English to ESL students. I took the GRE when I was 21 and scored a 1390 and began tutoring that as well.
Upon moving to Boulder, I began to tutor as a way to supplement my income (grad student stipends are lean, haha). I have always tutored privately, but I’ve also tutored for various companies and organizations. I tutored for the University of Colorado Athletics Department for a few years, as well as working at a variety of writing centers.
I am located in downtown Denver, around 15th and Curtis, but have no problem tutoring anywhere nearby. Additionally, I make my way up to Boulder regularly, so I’m glad to meet in downtown Boulder or any coffeeshops along the FF1 path. I generally prefer to work in places with low ambient noise (coffee shops, college campuses, etc), but I am completely flexible on this point. I always endeavor to find what works best for the student; that’s the priority!
Below are some examples of places in Denver and Boulder where I love meeting with students!
- Vibe Coffee Shop
- Wake & Take Coffee
- Ziggi’s Coffee on Colfax
- Starbucks – Larimer Square
- Starbucks – 13th/Colorado
- Starbucks – Baseline/Broadway
- Starbucks – 30th/Arapahoe
- Union Station
- Nixon’s – Louisiana/Pearl
- Nixon’s – City Center Englewood
Rates and Payment Methods:
My rates are variable depending on a number of things:
- I will always charge less per session if we’re meeting multiple times per week.
- I will charge less for online sessions.
- I will charge different rates for different topics (Test prep is more demanding of my time than other topics, for example)
- I will also lower a student’s rate if I sense they are taking the lessons seriously and honestly trying their hardest. This usually gives students an incentive to care 🙂
- I have a sliding scale for families enduring financial hardship. I don’t want to be the tutor who only well-off families can work with. As someone from a poor family, I’d never want to be the tutor I couldn’t’ve had, you know?
- If you refer other clients to me, I will permanently lower your rate.
Generally though, my tutoring starts at $45 or $60 an hour, depending on a number of variables. I also offer group rates.
Currently Offered Topics:
- Test Prep (ACT/PSAT/SAT/GRE)
- Languages (Latin, Greek, English)
- Executive Functioning/ADHD Support
- History and Literature courses
- Math up to and including Calc 1
- College Prep
- College Admissions Support
- Dissertation Editing
- Essay Editing
- Various others
Furthermore: I know a number of tutors in the area who tutor a variety of other subjects. If I don’t feel comfortable tutoring the course/topic you need help with, I promise that I can quickly find you someone who will.
Email me if you have any questions or if you’d like to schedule a session!